Contemporary American Society discussion
Wk 1 Discussion – Explaining Society with Sociological Theories [due Thurs]Due date: 10/11/22, 2:59 AMPost a total of 3 substantive responses over 2 separate days for full participation. This includes your initial post and 2 replies to classmates or your faculty member. Due Thursday Take a moment and call to mind some of the groups to which you …
Post a total of 3 substantive responses over 2 separate days for full participation. This includes your initial post and 2 replies to classmates or your faculty member. Due Thursday Take a moment and call to mind some of the groups to which you …
Show moreWk 1 – Summative Assessment: Theories of Social Problems Presentation [due Mon]Due date: 10/11/22, 2:59 AMWk
Take a moment and call to mind some of the groups to which you belong. Most of us have some groups in common even though the individuals are different, like family, coworkers, and classmates.
Even if we don’t consciously think about the daily interactions we have, every exchange contributes to the web of connections that makes up American society. Society is complex, and so are its members. If we want to understand how all the pieces fit together, we can use theories to take a closer look. A theory is a system of ideas that work together to explain something.
Sociological theories view society, interactions among people, and the dynamics of workplace cultures from a broad perspective. We can use these theories to reflect on our own experiences and explore solutions to issues in society. Using these theories, we can examine social challenges, their causes, and their potential solutions.
Before you respond to the questions below, be sure to complete this week’s learning activities. Each of those activities helps to build your knowledge and develop a sociological perspective. Respond to the following questions and share your ideas with your classmates and instructor in a minimum of 175 words:
- Choose 2 sociological theories you encountered this week that you think are particularly relevant to social issues you are familiar with.
- In your own words, explain those theories and give an example of how each theory could be used to explain or understand asocial issue.
- Which sociological theory was most challenging for you, either to understand or to consider as it might apply to a social problem?
- This week you encountered some important sociological theories and discussed how they can be used to explain and address various societal issues. You might recognize how some of these theories could apply in the groups and communities you are a part of.
In this assignment, you’ll be given a work scenario in which you’re asked to explain sociological theories and how they can be used to address an issue in the workplace. This assignment allows you to demonstrate how sociologists use theories to consider social problems.
Before you begin, look at the assignment rubric so you’re aware of the requirements, and be sure to reach out to your instructor if you have any questions.
Your employer has asked you and several members of your team to investigate a social problem that is having an increasingly negative influence on the success of your organization (you may use the organization you work for now or choose one in your career field of interest). Your role as a team member is to investigate and present sociological theories that will help others consider a way to approach the social problem that the organization faces.
To prepare for the presentation, take the following steps:
- Select 1 sociological theory you think will best address the issue facing your organization.
- Select 1 social problem relevant to your organization, and prepare to share the following in your presentation:
- Identify the organization and summarize the social problem and its effect on the organization.
- Identify a relevant sociological theory and 1 or 2 theorists associated with the theory.
- Summarize the theory’s perspective and explain why it is relevant to the social problem facing your organization.
- Explain how your organization might use the theory to approach understanding and solving the social problem.
- Create a presentation in 6- to 8-slides introducing sociological theory to your teammates.
Include a title slide and speaker notes for each main slide.
Cite references in your presentation.
Include a slide with APA-formatted references at the end of your presentation. Do this to the best of your ability or use a citation generator if you need help.
Submit your assignment.
Contemporary American Society discussion
Create an order via https://peakassignments.com/order if you need work on such topic and many more from different disciplines.